Saturday, December 18, 2010

christmas time is near...




it was mark's turn to visit his family over christmas so we had a pre-christmas dinner with my dad, sis and ryan.

i wanted to make it special, with traditional polish foods my mom had prepared—and I think I actually may have pulled it off! with the many years of cooking with my mom I am forever grateful for the amazing lessons she gave me. her golopki (stuffed cabbage rolls) are a family favorite so i decided i'd try making them for the first time on my own.

i was so nervous if they'd even turn out right and everyone at the dinner table agreed they were delicious!
my mom had so many tastey secrets and even though it was a struggle filling the first couple rolls I quickly got the hang of it. i know i made my mom proud that day.

other food we had was baked ham, cerwony barczsz (red beet soup), kotlety (meat crepes) and spinach salad (not a traditional polish dish but we wanted some lighter fare.)

the night was really fun and everyone was smiling and having a good time. mark even go to watch rick steves' christmas!

we would have loved to have mom there with us and miss her dearly. you learn that family is the greatest part of life and sharing great moments like these will forever bring you more happiness than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment