Saturday, October 1, 2011

our lillian zofia's birth story


I'll give you the option of the long or short version...

long story short?

doc called me on sunday the 18th to go to the hospital to get induced that night. I was given cervadil that night, then 12 hours later I was only 1cm dilated. they broke my water (super awkward) and started the pitocin at 7am. after a couple hours of hard contractions that started to bring me to tears they checked me at 2pm... 1cm dilated. :( I couldn't get the epidural so another 2 exhausting hours went by and doc checks me only to tell me I'm 1.5cm and mentions c-section. I cry. not what I wanted to hear. I take an hour to feel better especially after I talk with susanne (sis-in-law who's also an OB.) I get prepped for surgery. I get the spinal. I feel nothing. there's pressure and I hear our lily screaming at the top of her lungs. she's here! 6:32pm.

all the details :)


so my OB finally called sunday morning at 7:30a to let us know to come to the hospital later that night to be induced. she asked again if this is what we wanted and of course yes we were more than ready—making it to your due date is a long time and adding days or our case a week is more than enough. I was feeling good, a bit nervous because no matter what today was the day! it was my dad's birthday and I thought it would be amazing if she in fact shared that day with him.

so we woke up that day and went to breakfast—I wanted walker brothers' pancakes, egg whites and fruit, (so delicious) since I knew later I would be cut off from food. :) it was a relaxing day and when we got home we packed up last minute items and got ready to head to the hospital. we were of course running late but it was very go with flow once we got to the hospital. we got checked in to our delivery room and mark went out to grab his things from the car. by the time he got back I was changed in my gown, had my vitals taken and hanging out in bed with the contraction straps on. the nurse said dr. perlis would come by soon.



5:45p dr. perlis came in to see me and gave me the cervadil. she said it will help "ripen" my cervix and maybe even put me in labor. (yay!) she answered a couple more of our questions and was on her way. she said she would come see me after she was done at the office tomorrow night.

6:00p the waiting game begins.

7:30p got a delicious hospital dinner... yum. my sister stopped by to see us.

10:00p tried falling asleep. too excited.

12:00a not sure if i've even gotten a half hour of sleep yet. the straps monitoring baby's heartbeat and contractions prohibit me from changing positions in bed. wide awake.

2:20a piercing hospital emergency alarm goes off. is someone trying to steal a baby? what is going on. now i'm really awake. fall asleep michele falllllll asleep. tomorrow is going to be a long day.

4:00a vitals checked by the nurse again.

6:00a vitals. nurse lets me know dr. salus would be in soon. she removes the cervadil and lets me know I'm about a lil over a fingertip dialated. :( awesome. (not really) the nurse lets me know the doc may be able to break my water since that usually moves things along. (fine by me.)

6:30a dr. salus comes in and confirms that yes I'm about 1 cm dialated. she then lets me know she is going to break my water. by far that is the most uncomfortable feeling I've had. it's a lot of uncomfortable pressure and it hurts—but then again I was about to push a baby out so yeah. so the peeing sensation of my waters being broken began. she also inserted a catheter to accurately monitor my contractions. thus far, none that I was having (although consistent) hurt.

7:00a pitocin begins. we're at a 2.

7:30a pitocin is upped to 4. 8:00a 6. 8:30a 8. still no pain. 9:00a 10. hmmm.

9:30a 12. I start feeling contractions that slightly hurt.

10:00a 14. I ask the nurse how high the pitocin dose can go. 30 any further she needs permission.

10:30a 16. I'm feeling contractions that hurt. but I'm somewhat excited that could finally feel something.

11:00a 16. The nurse keeps me here since I'm feeling pain and my contractions have not slowed.

11:30a 16. I'm hungry, eating a lollipop and breathing through these darn contractions. mark heads to get lunch.

noon owwwwwww effen contractions. just breathe.

12:30p owwwwwwwwwwwwww this officially sucks. my contractions just are getting stronger.

1:00p holy moly trying to breathe. this darn blood pressure cuff somehow always turns on on my way up on a strong contraction. ugh. this is uncomfortable. I'm in a lot of pain. mark tells me I should ask the nurse for pain meds. I say not yet.

1:15p I'm crying from a contraction. ok maybe I should get some relief.

1:30p nurse comes in and I let her know my pain is pretty bad and I'm really tired and would like something. she says she'd like the dr. to check me (maybe I could get the epidural now).

2:00p I get checked. I'm at a 1... maybe. :( are you kidding me?!?? I'm disappointed and really tired so I'm given something to help relieve the pain. it hits me right away and I basically feel relief instantly—never felt something like that before, but I'm in my happy place. mark makes fun of me and says I'm high. eyes shut.

3:30p I'm awakened by those darn contractions again. 3:45p nurse comes in to see me and I let her know I'm very uncomfortable again.

4:00p dr. salus comes in to check me and now I'm at a 1 and a half :( I should have been at a 4 probably by now. I can't get an epidural since it's too early. my dr. says we may need to make some tough decisions... she then mentions c-section. I start crying. I didn't think I'd have to have one, but baby is just not progressing. they leave me to think about it. mark consoles me but it's not what I wanted. I just wanted our girl to come out on her own. mark has susanne (his brothers wife who's also an OB) call me, she talks me through things and helps me come to the realization that a c-section isn't as bad as I originally thought and it's the way our baby wants to come out. I'm the type of person who's afraid of needles and the thought of being cut open scares me but I know at this point I don't want to be in a worse situation and resort to a c-section anyway. I finally come to terms with having the c-section when dr. salus and the nurse return an hour later.

5:00p after we let our families know what was happening basically I and mark get prepped about what's going to happen.

5:45p my sis and dad come in. :) good to see them.

6:05p I'm getting wheeled into the stark white OR. it's cold. the anesthesiologist is talking really fast. he's basically rattling off side effects as he's cleaning my spine with iodine. he asks if I understand. I say yes even though I have no idea what he just said. prick on my skin and then I feel the pressure of the needle. my toes start to tingle. my legs get heavy.

6:15p dr. salus says she's going to test if I could feel anything. nope. she says ok we're going to begin. ahhh all I think and say at this point, "is mark going to be here?!"

6:17p mark walks in all scrubbed up. he sees my guts.

baby!
6:32p I hear screaming. our lily is here! mark pops up and snaps a picture of our girl and I then dr. salus brings her to my side of the curtain and there she is! I'm so relieved and happy. our girl is here!


















And the rest is basically a blur :) but a very amazing, relief of a blur. we get visitors and I get to hold her for the first time in recovery.

love

No comments:

Post a Comment